Double Chin Symptoms
- Excess fat and skin beneath the skin
- Stretched skin beneath the chin
- Loss of elasticity in skin beneath the skin
What Causes A Double Chin?
Just because a person has a double chin does not mean that the person is overweight or fat. In fact, attempting to lose weight through diet or exercise may not necessarily help get rid of a double chin. There is no law or consensus that states that if a person loses weight, they’ll lose their double chin or if they gain weight, they’ll develop a double chin.
Double Chin Causes
What’s causing that double chin that’s keeping you from enjoying your days in the sun in Santa Monica? Some of the common potential causes of a double chin include:
- Cause #1 – Aging – One of the biggest causes of a double chin is aging. As you grow older, the natural aging process causes you to lose muscle and the skin to loosen. Muscles in the chin slacken and skin stretches, increasing the risk of a double chin.
- Cause #2 – Genetics – There’s a good chance that double chin is inherited. If you have other family members with a double chin, you may have a greater risk of developing one yourself. Genetics often affect fat storage and water retention, which can both lead to a double chin.
- Cause #3 – Extra Weight – Extra weight or body fat is another common cause of a double chin. Of course, even individuals who are at a healthy weight may develop a double chin.
With regards to genetics, if other members of a person’s family, such as parents or grandparents, have double chins, then chances are that this person has a much higher chance of developing one. Even if a person’s double chin was caused by genetic factors, he or she does not have to worry because there are non-invasive procedures that will help get rid of the double chin. Age can also play a factor as discussed above. As men and women age, their skin becomes looser and so do their muscles. This can lead to the development of a double-chin. If a person develops a double-chin as a result of aging, he or she may also benefit from treatments that are designed for the skin, such as dermal fillers.
Double Chin Treatment at Skin Med Spa in Santa Monica
At the Skin Med Spa in Santa Monica, we offer the best in cutting edge treatments for a double chin. We offer Kybella treatment, which is the only injectable treatment approved by the FDA to help destroy the fat cells beneath the skin that are causing your double chin.
The number of injections you need will depend on several factors, including the distribution of fat, the amount of fat, and your goals. You can have as many as six treatments, and treatments must be spaced at least a month apart. To achieve the best results with Kybella, patients are typically asked to receive weekly treatments for a period of 2 months. Each treatment only takes about 20 minutes, so you can walk in for treatment and get back to your busy, exciting Santa Monica lifestyle quickly. We highly suggest double chin injections to help restore your naturally looking chin. As mentioned, treatments are non-invasive and don’t take long at all!
After Effects of Double Chin Treatment
After having Kybella double chin treatment in Santa Monica, you can expect to deal with a bit of normal numbness, bruising, and swelling under the chin. Mild pain, redness, and areas of hardness beneath the chin are also quit common.
If you experience problems swallowing, muscle weakness in the face, or an uneven smile, it’s important to notify your health professional right away. In rare cases, individuals can experience some serious side effects after Kybella injections, including nerve injuries to the jaw. However, these injuries generally resolve on their own.